Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rice and Beans

Black beans with onion, sweet red pepper, garlic, cumin, jalapenos, salt and pepper. I am generally in awe when eating black beans. They are a completely satisfying food.

Last night I served them next to a hearty green salad, a slice of a whole wheat cheese quesadilla and a glass of beer.

When I lived in Montana a group of friends and I formed a buying club and bought bulk dried black beans, rice and canned Muri Glen whole tomatoes. For the next year or so we had each-other-over for dinners and lunches serving some form of black beans rice and salsa. I never got tired of it.

Cilantro, capsicums, raw onion, corn tortillas, avocado, creme frishe at Erin's...some kind of white cheese at Dicks. We were producing theater together and hung as a gang. Family. I roasted chicken. Erin baked salmon. I made Spanish omelets and soup. David hunted elk and I made elk ragu. These were our main meals.
Nutritious and affordable.

The chickens were raised by the Hutterite colony over in Martinsdale. They were fresh, free range and large.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home