Saturday, February 7, 2009

Full and happy

I am sitting here full and happy - just having finished a dinner of chicken soup and a green salad. (I've been making the best salads lately, hardy salads with escarole and romaine, red onion, chopped celery, Nash carrots, which seem to be the sweetest carrots ever..(must be the soil)..and a dressing heavy on mustard, lemon and Parmesan cheese. Bow wow.

The soup came about from a chicken I roasted six days ago or so..did what Mark Bittman told me to do for a classic quick french roast. I heated the oven to 450 and on a low rack placed a roasting pan to heat. I smeared the bird with butter, salt and pepper, placed it in the hot pan and roasted it for close to an hour. I did not open the oven. The result - a perfectly roasted bird.

Following the initial chicken dinner, I made a Thai chicken green curry, constructed several chicken sandwiches and then the soup, making of course a rich broth from the stripped down bird. To this I added onions, garlic, carrot, celery and at the last minute, sweet potato gnocci from Italy, a gift from Philadelphia. Made me happy...as did the Panzanella Grissioni and glass of Red Rhone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home